Further milestones achieved on the WestGate Tunnel in Australia
Which structures are under construction?
– new twin tunnels,
– a new bridge over the Maribyrnong River,
– an elevated road along Footscray road to the port of Melbourne,
– new cycling and pedestrian paths.
Freyssinet is part of an Alliance with CPBJH JV for the erection of the Footscray Elevated Roadway. Freyssinet Australia and our Major Projects team bring experience in bridge technology and advanced construction methods to the project.
Some key milestones have been reached since the summer:
- The Alliance has now completed the installation of all precast elements of the substructure, with 159 column segments and 80 capital segments installed.
- For the superstructure, almost half of the 1600 precast concrete segments are expected to be installed by the end of the year.
- The bearing crew is following closely the span erection.
Standing 25m above traffic, the 114m long, 1,280t launching gantry is certainly the largest piece of equipment on the whole project.
The automatic “twist lock” connecting system allows to lift and hang deck segments in a matter of minutes without manual intervention nor need to access the segment, greatly improving safety and productivity. All the parameters of the PLC controlled machine can be accessed and adjusted remotely.
Freyssinet’s completion date is set for end of 2023.
Client: Victorian Government and Transurban
Main contractor: JV of CPB Contractors and John Holland (CPBJH JV)