Avoiding the unexpected for a successful rehabilitation. Freyssinet guarantees effective and sustainable rehabilitation through a comprehensive service. We assist you from the study and diagnostic phase, in order to choose the repair strategies and select the technical solutions adapted to your structure. We guarantee quality implementation by specialists who have mastered proven technologies on our numerous sites.
- Drinking water storage and supply structuresWater storage tanks
Large diameter pipelines
Seasonal thermal energy storage buildings
- Wastewater plants and collectorsUrban and industrial treatment plants
Rainwater or wastewater collectors
A heritage to be preserved
In the face of urbanization and the challenges posed by climate change, water supply and storage structure are of particular importance. They are part of our architectural heritage – ancient aqueducts, water towers of remarkable dimensions – and of our technical heritage – factories and underground collectors.
Hydraulic structures are highly stressed both mechanically by the hydrostatic pressure to which they are subjected and by their exposure to tides, to severe weathering in the case of atmospheric structures or to aggressive soils in the case of buried structures.
The legislation on safety standards for drinking water is constantly evolving. It includes detailed hygiene requirements for materials in contact with drinking water to ensure that only safe substances can be used.
The main problem with hydraulic structures is to ensure that they are watertight in order to avoid leaks, as well as infiltration in the case of underground structures.
Older structures also need to be strengthened to restore their original level of service and safety.
Even if properly formulated, concrete in sewage treatment plants is exposed to bacterial attack which can disintegrate it within a few years.
Why choose Freyssinet for your project?
01. Customised solution
02. Comprehensive service
03. Worldwide experience
04. Dedicated repair teams
Our solutions and technologies for water infrastructures
We are all confronted with a myriad of coating technologies, each more innovative than the last, but difficult to implement under site conditions. That’s why our teams scrupulously apply the operating procedures developed by our specialists, from the repair and preparation of substrates to the control of environmental conditions and the application of the chosen coating.
- Diagnosis of corrosion of concrete, concrete reinforcing steel and metal parts
- Diagnosis of the waterproofing of the structure
- Condition assessment and structural analysis
- High pressure water jetting and hydro-demolition
- Patching, repair and reprofiling of concrete substrates
- Working in confined space
- Working in explosive or toxic atmospheres (hydrogen sulphide)
- Containment of work areas and air treatment
- Scaffolding and tailor-made access systems
- Preparation of surfaces by high pressure water jetting or abrasive blasting
- Treatment of water ingress
- Treatment of cracks
- Treatment of expansion joints
- Anti-carbonation coatings for concrete
- Painting of external concrete facings
- External thermal insulation of tanks
- Exterior waterproofing membranes in the dome
- Bringing safety equipment into compliance
- Abrasion protection mortars
- Mortars and coatings for protection against bacterial corrosion
- Coatings for protection against condensate at roof intrados
- Protective coatings against acidic liquids
- Drinking water grade waterproofing mortars and coatings
- Drinking water grade and crack resistant waterproofing coatings
You have a question about our solutions or you already have a project in mind? Please fill out the form below and our teams will get back to you shortly.
Freyssinet relies on solid skills and experience to repair, strengthen, and protect all types of dam structures. Our interventions range from basic repairs to stability enhancement, spillways and spillway gates rehabilitation, radial gate anchors strengthening, seismic upgrade, asbestos containing coating removal, etc. When it comes to waterproofing, you can count on our specialist subsidiary Carpi, the most experienced waterproofing geomembranes contractor worldwide.
- 200+Large dams of all types
- 100+Reservoirs for water supply, irrigation, hydropower, recreational use
- 80+Canals, hydraulic tunnels and shafts
- 50+Underground and environment protection structures
Dams main challenges
Dam failure results in a catastrophic break followed by a flood wave often with considerable loss of life or property. Over time, water infrastructures degrade and lose their watertightness due to water and environment attack, settlements, and deformations.
Poor bearing conditions can ultimately lead to instability of the structure.
Excessive water infiltration due to inadequate or non-existent drainage can lead to uplift forces on the structure.
Water seeping through cracks of the concrete facing and dislocation of the masonry works.
Concrete surfaces abraded by erosion due to the very high velocity waters
Concrete cracks in the body of the dam, water infiltrations, failed masonry joints, etc.
Modernization can be required to meet the requirements of new seismic regulations.
From investigation to execution
Depending on the project, our services include inspections to assess the condition of the structure, loads and possible site logistics. We can engage specific investigation tools, such as underwater surveys with divers and remotely operated vehicles, multibeam sonar, laser scanning, magnetic field analysis, etc. We produce 3D renderings of the structure.
Design of the repair and waterproofing solution
Based on the results of the investigations and the client’s requirements, our technical teams develop the detailed solution. All our projects are designed in accordance with the guidelines of internationally recognised organisations such as the ICOLD, the International Commission on Large Dams.
Manufacturing and supply
All components of our repair and waterproofing solutions are produced by ISO-certified manufacturers, according to our specifications and under CE marking. They are selected, checked, packed, shipped and delivered to site according to strict quality control procedures.
Works in the dry are carried out by teams of highly specialised technicians from Freyssinet and Carpi companies established worldwide and local workers trained to specific skill standards. Underwater installation is carried out by our underwater partners, who have extensive experience in the maintenance and waterproofing of hydraulic structures.
Picture: Panneciere dam, France / Copyright Thierry Chomel
Our solutions and technologies for dams
We offer our services for large-scale repair programs involving substantial engineering input, harsh conditions such as remote areas, low temperatures, work under water, difficult access or heavy logistic constraints.
- Visual and drone inspections
- Condition assessment using various inspection and monitoring techniques
- Prevention: water vapour barriers, hydrophobic impregnation, flexible micro-porous coatings
- Control: re-alkalisation, free chloride extraction, corrosion inhibitors
- Protection: galvanic protection, impressed cathodic current protection
- Imperviousness systems: rigid cement and resin-based mortar linings, epoxy and polyethylene coatings, etc
- Watertightness systems: semi-flexible glass epoxy composites, glass vinyl ester composites, Carpi thermoplastic waterproofing geomembranes, semi-flexible welded HDPE sheets, flexible polyurethane or polyurea coatings,
- Joint bridging
- Biogenic corrosion protection systems: calcium cement aluminate mortars, hybrid polyurethane, etc